OnePlus Nord 2T premiered in May, coming to replace the Nord 2 on store shelves. This is the first time we see a ‘T’ model for the Nord series, these refreshed models previously reserved for the flagship OnePlus series.
The formula is retained though and this T iteration also focuses on speed improvements – performance and charging. The Nord 2T comes with a newer Dimensity 1300 chipset and faster 80W wired charging. These, together with the slightly altered design, are the only differences to the original Nord 2. Certainly not a model to make Nord 2 owners jealous, the Nord 2T is meant to keep the line relevant as competition improves.
And on paper the OnePlus Nord 2T is certainly a very tempting smartphone, one that’s made our Flagship Killer Buyers’ Guide category. It offers a solid dual Gorilla Glass 5 build with beautiful frosted black or glossy mint back covers. Then there is a 90Hz Fluid AMOLED on top of a capable Dimensity 1300 5G chipset.
The triple-camera on the back has been carried over from the Nord 2 and is in line with most of the Nord 2T’s competitors – a 50MP primary camera with OIS for most of your shooting, an 8MP ultrawide for the rare more dramatic perspective, and a 2MP depth sensor that’s mostly there for marketing purposes. The 32MP selfie camera within the punch hole is also unchanged from the Nord 2.
This OnePlus Nord 2T features a 4.500mAh battery split into two separate cells, which now allows for an even faster 80W charging. The 80W adapter ships with the phone, naturally.
Finally, the new Nord 2T runs on the Android 12 with OxygenOS 12.1 launcher. OxygenOS 13 has been announced already, so we guess it will make it to this Nord 2T later this year, too.
OnePlus Nord 2T specs at a glance:
- Body: 159.1×73.2×8.2mm, 190g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame.
- Display: 6.43″ AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+, 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 409ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 1300: Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G77 MC9.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 12, OxygenOS 12.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.9, 24mm, 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.2.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.4, (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/480fps, gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 80W, USB Power Delivery.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; stereo speakers.
The OnePlus Nord 2T, just like the Nord 2, is not IP rated and officially it features no ingress protection whatsoever. Unofficially, we noticed rubber insulation where on certain openings, so it is not entirely unprotected. Still, if the maker is not making any promises about its survival when submerged we wouldn’t risk it.
Now let’s proceed with the unboxing!
Unboxing the OnePlus Nord 2T
The OnePlus Nord 2T ships within a thick black box. It contains an 80W power adapter, a 10A-rated USB-A-C cable, and a cool protective case with two different textures.
The phone also arrives with a thin protective film applied on its screen. While it’s not of the highest quality, it’s not bad enough to make it immediately want to peel it off either.