Xiaomi Poco F5 Redmi Note 12 Turbo Review
Introduction and Specifications:
The Poco F5 and its sibling, the F5 Pro, share remarkable similarities in terms of size and core features. However, a closer examination of the specifications reveals subtle differentiators in niche aspects. Both phones cater to the budget-conscious market, with the F5 Pro positioned as an affordable flagship.
In this review, our focus is on the vanilla Poco F5, also known as the Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Turbo in certain markets. Notably, the Redmi Note 12 Turbo was released in March, allowing this review to serve as a valuable reference for those considering purchasing that specific model. The Poco F5 offers noteworthy upgrades compared to its predecessor while maintaining the same price point. It presents itself as an excellent choice for individuals seeking a capable mid-range device with additional high-tier features.
Xiaomi Poco F5 Specifications at a Glance:
- Body: Dimensions 161.1×75.0x7.9mm, Weight 181g; Front: Gorilla Glass 5, Back and Frame: Plastic; IP53-rated for dust and splash resistance.
- Display: 6.67″ AMOLED, 1 billion colors, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 120Hz refresh rate, 500 nits (typ), 1000 nits (peak), Resolution 1080x2400px, Aspect Ratio 20:9, Pixel Density 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7475-AB Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 (4 nm): Octa-core (1×2.91 GHz Cortex-A710 & 3×2.49 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A510); Adreno 725 GPU.
- Memory: 256GB storage with 8GB RAM, 256GB storage with 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 13, MIUI 14 for POCO.
- Rear Camera: Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.8, 1/2″, 0.7µm, PDAF, OIS; Ultra-wide-angle Camera: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 1/4″, 1.12µm; Macro Camera: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front Camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide).
- Video Capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps with gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p@30/60fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 67W wired charging, supports PD3, QC4 (advertised 100% charge in 46 minutes).
- Connectivity: 5G; Dual SIM support; Wi-Fi 6; Bluetooth 5.3; NFC; Infrared port; 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Misc: Side-mounted fingerprint reader; stereo speakers.
The Poco F5 is equipped with the latest Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 chipset, which offers enhanced performance compared to its predecessor. The device boasts a familiar 6.67-inch OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and high maximum brightness, similar to its higher-priced counterpart but at a lower resolution. Both devices share identical camera setups, and the battery capacity is approximately 5,000mAh, supporting rapid 67W wired charging. Notably, the F5 Pro distinguishes itself by adding wireless charging to its list of features.
Regardless of the device you choose, the user experience is expected to be similar. However, if wireless charging and a more future-proof SoC, such as the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1, are priorities for you, investing a bit more in the F5 Pro may be worthwhile. Nonetheless, we believe that the Poco F5 provides 90% of what most users are looking for, making it the more favorable option in terms of value.
Unboxing the Xiaomi Poco F5:
Inside the standard retail box, you will find the handset accompanied by the usual user manuals, a 67W fast charger, and a USB-A to USB-C cable for data transfer and charging.